Gum disease is a chronic condition that affects the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is caused by the buildup of plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that forms on your teeth.
If plaque is not removed, it can harden into tartar, which can irritate your gums and lead to inflammation.
If gum disease is left untreated, it can cause the gums to recede, exposing the roots of your teeth. This can lead to tooth loss.
There are a number of things you can do to prevent gum disease, including brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing once a day, and seeing your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings.
In recent years, there has been some interest in the potential role of probiotics in preventing gum disease. Probiotics are live bacteria that have health benefits for humans. They are often found in yogurt and other fermented foods, but they can also be taken as supplements.
Some studies have shown that probiotics may help to reduce the levels of harmful bacteria in the mouth, which could help to prevent gum disease. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
Here are some of the potential benefits of probiotics for gum health:
- Probiotics can help to reduce the levels of harmful bacteria in the mouth. These bacteria are responsible for causing plaque buildup and inflammation, which can lead to gum disease.
- Probiotics can help to improve the health of the gums. They can do this by increasing the production of saliva, which helps to wash away plaque and bacteria. Probiotics can also help to strengthen the gums and make them more resistant to infection.
- Probiotics can help to reduce the risk of tooth decay. Tooth decay is caused by the buildup of plaque, which can be prevented by keeping the levels of harmful bacteria in the mouth low. Probiotics can help to do this by reducing the levels of harmful bacteria in the mouth.
If you are considering taking probiotics for gum health, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Talk to your dentist before taking probiotics. They can recommend a probiotic supplement that is right for you and help you to determine the best dosage.
- Look for a probiotic supplement that contains strains that have been shown to be beneficial for gum health. Some of the most promising strains include Lactobacillus reuteri, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Streptococcus salivarius.
- Take probiotics regularly. It is important to take probiotics consistently in order to see the benefits.
Overall, the research on the use of probiotics for gum health is still in its early stages. However, there is some evidence to suggest that probiotics may be beneficial for preventing gum disease.